Dual-Monitor Problems

I have a brand spanking new install of 11.1 x64 and I can’t get my monitors to play nice. I have one 22¨ monitor and one 17¨ monitor and it clones output on both of them. I can´t change the resolution on my 22, any changes made in Yast aren´t saved. Any help? I’d like to have an extended desktop on my 17", with my 22" being my main monitor.

Use sax2, activate dual head. The rest i don’t know as i use only one monitor.

I just checked, open terminal, su then sax2, activate dual head and there You can specify size of the second monitor.

I used such feature long time ago with Ubuntu, I used nvidia-settings to set proper settings, i don’t really know how sax2 works:)

crl0901 schrieb:
> I have a brand spanking new install of 11.1 x64 and I can’t get my
> monitors to play nice. I have one 22¨ monitor and one 17¨ monitor and
> it clones output on both of them. I can´t change the resolution on my
> 22, any changes made in Yast aren´t saved. Any help? I’d like to have
> an extended desktop on my 17", with my 22" being my main monitor.

You didn’t mention your graphics card.

I’m using an 8800GTS. Yast identifies it correctly.

I have the same issue using an Asus radeon 9200 SE/TD/128MB. The main monitor is connected to the VGA output, while the 2nd Monitor is on the DVI output. The main monitor is set to a resolution of 1600x1200 and works OK with that, while the 2nd is set to 1024x1280. The problem is that If I use sax2 (which is opened through yast, so no need to open a terminal and starting it from there as posted earlier), I can select Xinerama multihead, but the display is still cloned. If I try to change the settings through “Personal Settings”, “Display”, The position is set to “Clone of”, and that setting I can’t change (or if I change it to “Left of VGA 0”, it is back at “Clone of” after closing and reopening the applet.

I also checked the xorg.conf file, and in the “ServerLayout” section both modes “Clone” and “Xinerama” are set to off. I tried changing “Xinerama” to “On” there, rebooted and then X didn’t start.

Well, it’s only displaying one monitor in Sax2, which is kind of weird because all the settings for that one monitor are my 22" settings (1680x1050) but it’s my 17" that has the correct resolution, not my 22".

In my situation both monitors are displayed are displayed in sax2, but you first have to enable “dual head mode” to get the other monitor active. But, the resolution of course isn’t correct on the 2nd display. That would probably be difficult to arrive at in clone mode.

I forgot to mention above, I’m using the new opensuse 11.1 with KDE (installed from the liveCD). Maybe it would work with gnome? Also, the desktop cube of compiz is working fine, so the driver is OK.

How did you enable “Dual Head Mode”?

In sax at the lower part of the display, there’s a check box you can set “Activate Dual Head Mode”. Once that check box is set you can configure your display’s settings, and also select that you want to use xinerama mode and the arrangement of the display. Only that doesn’t make any difference, at least in my system I still have the displays cloned…

If sax2 won’t help with that then try using nvidia-settings to use both monitors, i did it once (when i still had two monitors) and it worked :wink:

I tried nvidia-settings and it gave me a bunch of errors.

I don’t see that. Here’s my SaX2 window and the monitor window:

http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/2145/69e92321448289.gif](ImageBam) http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/2145/d219b121448290.gif](ImageBam)

Have You got the proper drivers installed?? I got 8800GT which is not much different than GTS and I have option for dual-head. Guess what, install nvidia drivers, run nvidia-xconfig then run sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia, after that restart your PC.

I have a radeon card, how would I use nvidia settings for that?

I said that to crl0901

I know, but there must be a way to get it working using a tool that works with all hardware for which the correct drivers are loaded. A tool like randr might work, but that doesn’t seem to be available in openSUSE.

Also, if you don’t see your monitor listed in YAST, and you have a Windows driver disc, you can use that and YAST will configure your monitor’s size and refresh rate using the .inf file on the driver disc.

Foresthill i’ll try Your solution, i hope it will work, i never get 75Hz refresh frequency on Linux through DVI i don’t know why. Through VGA i get 75 but not through DVI.

Go to YAST / Monitor / Change / Utility Disc. I don’t know if you need to exit the x-server or not first, but you will need to put the inf file onto a CD if you don’t have the original driver disc.

I managed to get it partly running now using xrandr. Now only the resolution on the 2nd monitor is still wrong, but at least it is displayed in xinerama mode. I also can’t get the wallpaper to show on the 2nd monitor (that used to work with KDE 3.5).

xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of VGA-0

puts the 2nd screen (the small one connected to the DVI output) to the right of the main screen, that’s what I need.