Network printer

I am a complete newby to Suse v 10 and having the following problem.

I have a Brother HL-5170DNLT network printer connected to my router but am unable to print to it. If I look at the installed printers, only one, I can see it along with the IP address. I do not know the next step to make the computer talk to the printer.

If I look at printer properties it says “Unable to connect with printer.”

I also have a couple of windows machines connected to the network and they talk ok.

Please suggest some help like baby step by baby step.

Regards John Totten

Please post in the correct section of the forum. This is for usage/support of the actual forum software, not openSUSE related software/hardware issues.Also, posting in the correct forum section will get your topic noticed & you will get the necessary information

Andy

Yes, this is probably will be better address if this was posted in the hardware forums.

I have almost similar set up. I have a canon network printer and the driver is supported and connected via the router usb print server.
I am not at home right now so can’t explain in detail, but to give you some hint that can be of little help.

In yast printer you can add a printer and choose the print directly to a network printer. Next is to choose the print to an lpd style printing (maybe not exactly I worded, but you will find it as soon as you get into it)
Next you have to fill the box with your router print server ip (192.168.x.x). The queue should be lp (l is a small letter L) it should be written in small letters. There is a box there that you can test if the router print server is accessible if it is accessible continue to the next step where you are to configure your printer driver. this is the tricky part you are lucky if your printer is supported and the driver is listed in the selections. I can’t exactly recall the right dialog in the printer driver setup but for sure you will figure it out when you get there it’s either the configure driver or add a driver just have a look. When you get presented with the printer selection look for your printer name choose the appropriate driver and click okay. Send a test print and if it prints you are successful.