Thread: No sound on KDE4 Opensuse 11.1 RC1

Question No sound on KDE4 Opensuse 11.1 RC1

Upgraded to 11.1 RC1 over last weekend. Everything seems to be working fine except for sound on KDE4. When I login to KDE3.5, sound works on all the applications and I hear the login sound too. When I run a KDE4 application while in KDE3.5 (such as KDE4-JuK), there is no sound on it either.

Can someone help me debug this issue?

Thanks in advance

Post Re: No sound on KDE4 Opensuse 11.1 RC1

I'm having the same problem. On logging in to KDE4 it pops up a message about it not having a driver for for my sound. However, while poking around looking whilst logged in as root in a parallel session,for a log that contained the message (which disappeared before I could write it down) the sound worked, and it worked in my existing session as well when I returned to it, so I suspect it might be a permissions issue.

Cheers,

Rod

Default Re: No sound on KDE4 Opensuse 11.1 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by rschaffter View Post
    I'm having the same problem. On logging in to KDE4 it pops up a message about it not having a driver for for my sound. However, while poking around looking whilst logged in as root in a parallel session,for a log that contained the message (which disappeared before I could write it down) the sound worked, and it worked in my existing session as well when I returned to it, so I suspect it might be a permissions issue.

Cheers,

Rod
    Thank you for your response.

So, you mean to say that sound works for you when you login to KDE4 as root?

Question Re: No sound on KDE4 Opensuse 11.1 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by ikurtram View Post
    Thank you for your response.

So, you mean to say that sound works for you when you login to KDE4 as root?
    Ignore that question. I tested it on my setup and I see the same behavior. When I login to KDE4 as root, I get sound. But no sound as user. I'm not sure why. The user is already a member of the "audio" group. I also made the user a member of "pulse-**" group hoping it would make some difference but no luck.