Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    Hi

    If I connect windows to windows by TightVNC there is an option to transfer files between computers (in the drop-down list in the top left hand corner of the "window" border). This opens a GUI that looks very like the split screens you get in FTP GUIs, and thus I can transfer files.

    If I connect with Linux as either the client or the server or both, the option goes away. In windows the option is grayed out. In Linux it's just not in any of the GUI controls.

    How can I effect file transfer over TightVNC when Linux is involved?

    Thanks
    Swerdna

  2. #2
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I really didn't know you could do any file transferring with VNC at all.
    That's interesting.... I guess I run windows just about as much as I
    should.

    So how to do it? I don't know that it can be done. Some of the VNC
    apps extend what VNC does by default so that may be what TightVNC has
    done in this case (along with their compression). On the other hand:

    http://www.realvnc.com/support/filetransfer.html

    If you have Linux on both sides you probably have SSH already and that
    is the route I use for all of my file transfers. Presumably this is
    open unless you are using VNC over the network without SSH which means
    quite a bit of unencrypted traffic by default and means anybody can see
    what you are doing (including any file transfers you eventually get
    going if possible).

    Good luck.





    swerdna wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > If I connect windows to windows by TightVNC there is an option to
    > transfer files between computers (in the drop-down list in the top left
    > hand corner of the "window" border). This opens a GUI that looks very
    > like the split screens you get in FTP GUIs, and thus I can transfer
    > files.
    >
    > If I connect with Linux as either the client or the server or both, the
    > option goes away. In windows the option is grayed out. In Linux it's
    > just not in any of the GUI controls.
    >
    > How can I effect file transfer over TightVNC when Linux is involved?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Swerdna
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFJLcPz3s42bA80+9kRAvZMAJ4hkWcp8wjSfzA2u8ExepLKyQGCQwCfZ6Ja
    M350WgyUmK3f4e4zBwYGkVQ=
    =rB6Y
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    Thanks for that ab@. I'll investigate opening an ftp channel, Linux to windows, and see whether I can make any progress that way for the Linux side of things.

    While I have your attention: next question:
    TightVNC config filecontains this line to project a Gnome window on the server:
    exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome
    and similarly change "gnome" for "kde" to project a KDE window

    These are not the same window as the currently-running window. The currently running window is :0 whereas the windows "served" by TightVNC server is :1

    How can I make the server serve up :0 the same window as the currently-running window?

  4. #4
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I believe this particular option is available in SaX2. Backup /etc/X11
    first but then go into SaX2 and at the bottom on the left-hand side is a
    remote administration option which differs from the Network Service
    option. With that said I haven't set this up since NLD (based on SUSE
    9) but I seem to recall it still works from others' accounts.

    Good luck.





    swerdna wrote:
    > Thanks for that ab@. I'll investigate opening an ftp channel, Linux to
    > windows, and see whether I can make any progress that way for the Linux
    > side of things.
    >
    > While I have your attention: next question:
    > TightVNC config filecontains this line to project a Gnome window on the
    > server:
    >> exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome

    > and similarly change "gnome" for "kde" to project a KDE window
    >
    > These are not the same window as the currently-running window. The
    > currently running window is :0 whereas the windows "served" by TightVNC
    > server is :1
    >
    > How can I make the server serve up :0 the same window as the
    > currently-running window?
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFJLpQM3s42bA80+9kRAiJHAJ4o8hEBFsjbanCgfKZgHNMzBETusQCeK4RR
    1JMr9qGmMMC9gWbVZA/9VAo=
    =8n7Y
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by ab@novell.com View Post
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    I believe this particular option is available in SaX2. Backup /etc/X11
    first but then go into SaX2 and at the bottom on the left-hand side is a
    remote administration option which differs from the Network Service
    option. With that said I haven't set this up since NLD (based on SUSE
    9) but I seem to recall it still works from others' accounts.

    Good luck.
    I just checked that in 10.1 and 10.2 and 11.0

    The option exists in 10.1 & 10.2 but has been removed in 11.0. I tested it in 10.1 and indeed it works as a shared desktop. It's a pity it was removed in 11 (because I'm curious -- not a crucial matter).

    Thanks

  6. #6

    Default Re: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    The solution I recently found here is to run X11vnc on the server and tightvnc as the client I login to the server with ssh and start the X11vnc. It will automatically look for X:0 (make sure it is running). Next start tightvnc specifying X:0 192.168.131.108:0 for example. X11vnc seems to be a much better piece of software than comes with Suse 11 by default it seems crisp and lacking in artefacts..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: File transfer over TightVNC in Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by chrazer View Post
    The solution I recently found here is to run X11vnc on the server and tightvnc as the client I login to the server with ssh and start the X11vnc. It will automatically look for X:0 (make sure it is running). Next start tightvnc specifying X:0 192.168.131.108:0 for example. X11vnc seems to be a much better piece of software than comes with Suse 11 by default it seems crisp and lacking in artefacts..
    Thankyou for that. I'll look into it, take it for a drive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •