Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What packagedo I need for 'make'?

Accidentally moved to North America from England

Question What packagedo I need for 'make'?

I installed openSUSE from the KDE Live CD which apparently doesn't have a local repos on it :-(

I'm trying to get my wireless internet setup (see New User Having Trouble Following Sticky Instructions :-( - openSUSE Forums).

I'm trying to compile compile and install the driver from at76_usb - Linux driver for Atmel AT76C503/AT76C505 based USB WLAN adapters (I have a Linksys WUSB11 ver. 2.6 wireless access point).

I downloaded and installed kernel-source-2.6.25.5-1.1.i586.rpm (output of uname -a gives 'Linux deadbox 2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux') because the driver page says I need it. How do I know if "gcc version should match the one used to compile the kernel"?

But when I try to 'make' the driver I get 'make: command not found'.

I have no internet access from openSUSE at the moment, so I'm downloading the packages I need from a Windows box and transferring them via a USB stick.

What package/s do I need for make to work and are there any dependencies I need to get?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What packagedo I need for 'make'?

You'll need make, and the C development packages. They are not on the Live CD. You have a chicken and egg problem. If you have a DVD drive and the DVD distro, you could add that as a "repo".

Alternatively if you have a wired Ethernet port you can set that up and use it to set up the OSS repo and get the needed packages.

I don't have the ability to get the DVD version so I'm stuck with having to download via Windows and copy over :-( Can I download the packages you mention from the web? If so, what do I need exactly?

Blog Entries

Ah, this could be tricky because OpenSUSE users seldom install packages manually these days, they configure one or more repos and let the package manager figure out the dependencies. Getting a bunch of packages can be frustrating and error-prone, working out the necessary set.

Can you set up internet sharing via Windows through a wired Ethernet connection? Even just a web proxy will do the trick. Then you can fetch exactly what you need from the repo.

Unhappy Re: What packagedo I need for 'make'?

It's possible that I could swap my box with the one that's directly connected to our router, but I'm not sure how that would affect our network and would involve unwiring and moving two sets of hardware around :-( If that's my only option I guess I don't have much choice... I can actually download the DVD image and burn it to disc on another machine, but this machine won't read burned DVDs for some reason... Seems I'm stuck on all fronts!

Blog Entries

Is your DVD drive of a certain age? It might be able to read DVD-R but not DVD+R if it was manufactured between certain dates. Another possibility is to get a pressed version from a duplicator or Linux magazine. Yet another possibility is to set up filesharing on Windows and copy the ISO image to OpenSUSE via the network, but it sounds like you are not able to connect all your computers to a LAN.

Firstly let me say I'm very new to Linux, networking, etc, etc, so I'm taking on a lot of new stuff at once here. This whole thing is a learning experience for me and I'm desperately trying to set up an environment in which to learn more and be able to scrap Windows. Just a bit of background so you have a better idea of where I'm coming from.

The machine I'm trying to set OpenSUSE up on is currently dual-booting with Windows XP Home. I have internet access from Windows XP, so would it be possible to download the DVD .iso and have access to it from OpenSUSE that way? Can I use the .iso without having to burn it to DVD?

Maybe there is an easier solution that it's worth to try...

I just did a search for "at76_usb" on Software.openSUSE.org and it seems that the module is available in the openSUSE:11.0/standard repo - that means that it suppose to be on the DVD and maybe it is not on the live CD.

Do a search in your yast software package manager for at76_usb - maybe it is not installed but you have it on the live cd. If it is not download the rpm suitable for your kernel type "default" or "pae" and try to install it.

Good luck.

P.S.
    There was a guy around that was making ISO images for people with no internet connection with updates and media related packages (not sure if the dev packages were in or not) on the older forums but I did not see posts on this one.

Blog Entries

Ok, I get it, dual boot. Yes you can serve the ISO image to Linux. After downloading (don't use IE, it has download file size limitations, use a download manager), leave it on the Windows filesystem. On OpenSUSE mount the Windows partition (you'll need to look at an OpenSUSE tute for this, search for it at the website) using the ntfs-3g driver, or even the old ntfs driver, since you only need read permission. Then copy it over to Linux and mount the DVD ISO image as a "repo".

I'm not sure, but you even may be able to do the NTFS mounting with YaST, I haven't had to do this for a while. Post a new thread about mounting NTFS from OpenSUSE and swerdna will be able to set you on the right path.

I searched for 'at76' in YaST2 and a package called 'atmel-firmware' shows as being installed. A search for 'at76_usb' gives 'No Results'.

Searching for 'at76_usb' on Software.openSUSE.org gives several results, but I'm not sure which one I need: at76_usb-kmp-pae or at76_usb-kmp-default?

If I can serve the DVD .iso to OpenSUSE without having to burn it, that sounds like a viable option!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast