Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE4 Installing window decorations

Default KDE4 Installing window decorations

Can I install KDE3.x decorations on KDE4? If I download a decoration, where do I put it? Sorry for the newb questions, I'm used to Gnome but KDE4 made me curious, now I'm liking it more and more
    The only way to avoid giving a mile is to refuse to give the first inch.

Default Re: KDE4 Installing window decorations

AFAIK they're absolutely incompatible -- but then again I'm wrong more often than right.
    http://stopsoftwarepatents.eu/
    Even if free software were ****, it should still get our preference over the non-free **** secreted by IT corporations.
    A free rephrasing of RMS

Sad to hear, well I guess I'll look for a KDE4 compatible decoration
    The only way to avoid giving a mile is to refuse to give the first inch.

Hey, how do I install KDE4 window decorations, anyway?

I'm not sure what Window Manager I'm using, but it's not Emerald - I heard somewhere that it's better to use KDE's native WM for decorations, is this true?

I used to use Emerald in Ubuntu 9.10, since Metacity (IMO) sucked, but I don't see anywhere in Configure Desktop->Appearance to add/install new themes, and a lot of them on Kde-look.org have instructions for Kubuntu (Debian), none that are compatible with openSUSE AFAICT.

Thanks!
    I am purposely leaving this signature blank.

I think what you want is in the Advanced tab Desktop Theme Details.

Hi,

Some people use different engines to help them out with window decorations, as (in my opinion) the native kde4 decorations leave a lot to be desired. Two of the major engines are deKorator and aurorae. You can get both of them from the community repository. You can then download themes from here:

Eyecandy for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Look.org

for dekorator

Eyecandy for your KDE-Desktop - KDE-Look.org

for aurorae

Then all you do is go to Configure Desktop (Personal Settings)>Appearance>Windows and change the window decoration to deKorator or Aurorae and they'll both have a tab where you install the downloaded file.

Take Care,

Ian
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Thanks, I'll try those two.

Also, as a note to any KDE newbies: Beware of Copmiz/Emerald! I enabled Compiz under Default Applications->Window Manager, but it completely slowed down my computer, to the point of it being slower than Vista (!).

DO NOT USE GNOME APPLICATIONS IF THERE ARE ONES THAT DO THE SAME THING IN KDE!
    KDE apps were made for KDE, and Gnome were made for Gnome. Certain programs work with the opposite Desktop Environment, but it's best to use ones native to the DE.

/PSA

You can

1) install the rpm.

wei@firefly:~> rpm -qa | grep winde
    kde4-windeco-crystal-2.0.5-1.11.i586
    kde4-windeco-nitrogen-3.3.0-1.2.i586
    kde4-windeco-aurorae-0.2.1-1.4.i586
    kde4-windeco-dekorator-0.4.0.4-1.4.i586

These are the four that I have.

2) install from source.

There should be a INSTALL/README file in the source that has easy to follow instructions on how to compile and install the binary.

Okay, Aurorae and deKorator work fine, using a Plasma and (I think Aurorae) window theme based on the Ghost in the Shell Anime. I just can't find a decent icon theme to go with it...

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN-118 View Post
    Also, as a note to any KDE newbies: Beware of Copmiz/Emerald! I enabled Compiz under Default Applications->Window Manager, but it completely slowed down my computer, to the point of it being slower than Vista (!).
    /PSA
    I'm glad to hear you got what you wanted

Regarding compiz, did you try using my step by step guide located here?:

Installing and Configuring Compiz - openSUSE Forums

I currently have it working on a KDE 4.3.4 box that I set up for my parents to use. If you have any questions regarding compiz, just ask here in the forums

EDIT: I just checked again, and you have to install emerald manually since the one-click installer doesn't do it for you. Not sure why it doesn't, but I've had my how-to guide edited to reflect that change.

Take Care,

Ian
    Last edited by ijbreakey; 22-Dec-2009 at 15:47. Reason: Added more information
    Laptop: Dell Inspiron E1505 | OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows Vista | KDE | Intel CPU T2050 1.6 GHz | Intel 945GM | 3.2GB RAM
    Box: OpenSUSE 12.1/Windows 7 | KDE | Intel Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5GHz/core | nVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB| 4 GB RAM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast