Thread: How edit KDE Application Launcher Menus?

Default How edit KDE Application Launcher Menus?

I right-clicked on the app-launcher icon and opened the "KDE Menu Editor". however, not everything in there shows up in the actual menus. For example, "Development" is in the menu editor but not in my actual menus.

So how do I:

1. Add a tab to the app-launcher menu? (Right now it has "Favorites", "Applications", "Computer", "Recently Used", "Leave"

2. Add an application to one of the tabs (and/or a sub folder of that tab)?

Default Re: How edit KDE Application Launcher Menus?

1. I never heard of an option adding or removing a tab in the Kickoff-Menu (is it still called 'kickoff' anyway?).

2. KMenuedit should work though - maybe we'll get some interesting output when you start it via the commandline and try to edit the entries again.

Code:
    kmenuedit

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    1. I never heard of an option adding or removing a tab in the Kickoff-Menu (is it still called 'kickoff' anyway?).

2. KMenuedit should work though - maybe we'll get some interesting output when you start it via the commandline and try to edit the entries again.

Code:
    kmenuedit
    Yep, it gives the error:

kmenuedit(3025) MenuFile::load: Could not read "/home/<My_Username>/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu"

Hm. Does this file exist at all?

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    Hm. Does this file exist at all?
    Nope. I did a search and the file does not exist anywhere.

This is weird. I just installed OpenSUSE 11.0 (although I did have 11.0 beta on here and although it said it was reformatting the boot/install partition, that may have led to only an update?)

Naw, it wouldn't say reformatting if it was just doing an update. Your initial method of using the kde menu editor is the way to go. All possible categories appear in the menu editor, but the menu will only display categories that contain applications.

To add a new menu/submenu, select the top level folder in the menu editor and hit New.
    Unintentionally left blank...

Quote Originally Posted by coomac View Post
    Naw, it wouldn't say reformatting if it was just doing an update. Your initial method of using the kde menu editor is the way to go. All possible categories appear in the menu editor, but the menu will only display categories that contain applications.

To add a new menu/submenu, select the top level folder in the menu editor and hit New.
    I found a link online where someone said that for some reason a lot of new installations of KDE are missing that file but if you simple "save" in the editor, it creates it and then you can add apps. This does work. Now I have a file in ".config" and changes to it show up in the app launcher.

I know this is an older thread but it's still active so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. You can add items to the Places section of the Computer tab on the Kickoff Application Launcher. To do so, you open Dolphin (the filing cabinet icon). If the Places panel isn't displayed on the left side of the window, press the F9 key. This toggles the Places panel. Right click inside the Places panel and select Add entry. Enter the desired location and give it an appropriate label and icon. Un-check the Only show when using this application (Dolphin) box. Click on the OK button. Now, the Place you added to Dolphin will be displayed in the Places section of the Computer tab on the Kickoff Application Launcher. I know this doesn't answer your question completely. But if someone deletes your trash bin from the Places panel in Dolphin, it's gone from the Places section of your Computer tab as well. Figuring out how to get it back might take a while without this info. I thought it was worth sharing.