Pidgin/system tray issue

This may sound dumb but any help would be great…
I’m using OpenSUSE 11.0 with GNOME. I accidentally hit “remove from panel” on the Pidgin icon in the system tray while trying to get rid of something else. Apparently it really removes it as I can’t seem to get it back. I have always show system tray icon selected in Pidgin. I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling it, but that doesn’t seem to work. Its something minor, but I really prefer having it minimized to the system tray rather than the panel. Any help at getting the icon back there would be great, thanks.

You have probably removed the notification area on the panel: Right-click on the panel -> Add to panel -> “Notification Area” (in Utilities) -> Add

If thats not the case then it must be a bug in either pidgin or gnome.

You can also try AllTray - Dock applications without native tray icon to System Tray | SUSE & openSUSE

Thanks, it was the notification area that had been removed. Still learning the little things in Linux. And thanks a lot for the AllTray link. I’ve been looking for a good dock to help keep my screen uncluttered. Thanks!

hey thanks here too!! My problem was similar. I had deleted the Gnome panel altogether - after first creating my own custom one. But soon I realised that I didn’t see my network connection icon anymore, so I had no way to get online since I had no way to view wireless networks.

So I tried your solution of right-clicking the Gnome panel, selecting [add to panel][notification area]. Works. I now see my network connection icon.

Problem that this fixed: NETWORK CONNECTION ICON MISSING FROM GNOME PANEL
(similar causes might be related to the “nm-applet” not running?)