Wacom Intuos 3 install

Hey all,

I have a question. Can somebody please translate the documentation on The Linux Wacom Project

It is hard to read… Hard to follow, plus i don’t know all the tags, don’t understand what i’m investigating, what to remember to use some where else.

Is there someone out there who’s whiling too help me, and solve my problem.

I’ve tried many things, but none seem to work.

I must be missing something, but what

Thanks in advance

So you own a Wacom tablet?
and you are running OpenSuse 11.0?
and you are using KDE or Gnome?
and you have been using linux for how long?

and you want use the Wacom tablet?
and how far did you get with linuxwacom-0.8.0-3.tar.bz2?

I see the Wacom Intuos 3 is a USB device

Also, it bears mentioning since it’s a detail often missed: there are two drivers in the Linux Wacom Project- wacom.o and wacom_drv.o. The first driver is the USB kernel driver. The second driver is the XFree86 Wacom driver. USB users need both. If you try to use the wacom_drv.o driver in place of the wacom.o kernel driver or visa-versa, things generally won’t work.

these questions are just questions; so someone may be able to help you

there seems little on google: a 3 year old review: Linux.com :: Intuos 3 tablet is no one’s best choice

this review praises a Novell solution: Cool Solutions: Running SUSE Linux Professional 9.1 on a Tablet PC that has a Wacom based tablet
but this solution talks of a serial connection; I worry that this clashes with the above quote from the wacom project;

what about you detail the above questions?

How is it coming along out there Selage?

from the Wacom documentation; as you have ?started to install? … seems like they say to do five things:

1. edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to remove any references to Wacom that may have crept in

2. download the Wacom package and install

3. then

add the InputDevice sections to your XF86Config/ xorg.conf file.

Edit ServerLayout: The ServerLayout section describes what devices the X server will use
and finally

5)Finally, restart X

if you let the forum know about the questions in the first post, surely folks can help you move through the stages

Hello pdc_2

First of all thanks for replying, Second Its true i forgot a lot of info

I own an Intous 3 9x12" USB-interface
I run Suse 11.0 with Gnome, tried a lot of distro and decided to stay with OpenSUSE
I’m running Linux over a year now, but still use XP for my Wacom.

I want to fully work on Suse and even delete my XP copy.

First thread i’ve tried, was This one

Had to delete the Ps2 coredevice in Serverlayout, X crashed
Result: Pen doesn’t draw lines, need to double hit(click) to make a point…( in Gimp)

then i installed All Wacom related software with Yast2, Still nothing but the double click to get a Dot, not even the right tracking acording to my position on the board…

I’ve tried the Linux wacom project approach, downloaded the files and tried a Prebuilt installed, still nothing

Theres stuff like recompiling the kernel and stuff, Ive never done something like that. Even ./configure does not properly work, when i do it…

I am working with linux over a year now, but thats mainly triying to install it. found out my DVD station was broken, that was 2 months ago.

its been a long trail and error process. and hopefully this wacom wont give me that much of trouble, but it doesnt seem to go that way…

You say, Download the wacom packages and install.
Do you mean those in Yast or the ones on the site?
If you mean those on the site, what command must i use?

Thank you very much for your help so far, hope we can get trough this…

Not that promising what those review say…

I’ve read that things have changed and even Tilt and other features are able to work with the new version.

greetz Selage

thanks;
if you choose to use the Wacom project as your pathway, they would say the first thing is:

1. read your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (to aim later to remove any references to Wacom that may have crept in);

as you are using gnome, if you open a terminal and as user, if you type in:

gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

that should open the xorg.conf file in the text editor gedit, and allow you to read the file

you could check that file for any Wacom references and/or post the file on the forum;

opening as a user should mean you cannot change the file; you would need to log in as “su”: substitute user to do that; and the cautious would say to back up the file before editing it; (as it would seem to work for you at present?)

maybe you report back how that goes

My xorg.conf file now looks like this:

/…/

SaX generated X11 config file

Created on: 2008-09-09T21:38:31+0200.

Version: 8.1

Contact: SaX-User list <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/sax-users&gt;

Automatically generated by [ISaX] (8.1)

PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!

Section “Files”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/local”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/Type1”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/URW”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/Speedo”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/PEX”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/latin2/misc:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/latin2/75dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/latin2/100dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/latin2/Type1”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/latin7/75dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/baekmuk:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/japanese:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/kwintv”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/truetype”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/uni:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/CID”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/ucs/misc:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/ucs/75dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/ucs/100dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/hellas/misc:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/hellas/75dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/hellas/100dpi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/hellas/Type1”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/misc/sgi:unscaled”
FontPath “/usr/share/fonts/xtest”
FontPath “/opt/kde3/share/fonts”
InputDevices “/dev/gpmdata”
InputDevices “/dev/input/mice”
EndSection

Section “ServerFlags”
Option “AllowMouseOpenFail” “on”
Option “ZapWarning” “on”
EndSection

Section “Module”
Load “dbe”
Load “type1”
Load “freetype”
Load “extmod”
Load “glx”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
Driver “kbd”
Identifier “Keyboard[0]”
Option “Protocol” “Standard”
Option “XkbLayout” “be”
Option “XkbModel” “microsoftpro”
Option “XkbOptions” “caps:shiftlock”
Option “XkbRules” “xfree86”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
Driver “mouse”
Identifier “Mouse[1]”
Option “Buttons” “7”
Option “Device” “/dev/input/mice”
Option “Name” “Wacom PTZ-930”
Option “Protocol” “explorerps/2”
Option “Vendor” “Sysp”
Option “ZAxisMapping” “4 5”
EndSection

Section “Monitor”
Option “CalcAlgorithm” “XServerPool”
DisplaySize 376 301
HorizSync 30-83
Identifier “Monitor[0]”
ModelName “ACER AL1916”
Option “DPMS”
Option “PreferredMode” “1280x1024”
VendorName “ACR”
VertRefresh 50-75
UseModes “Modes[0]”
EndSection

Section “Modes”
Identifier “Modes[0]”
Modeline “1280x1024” 108 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section “Screen”
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection “Display”
Depth 15
Modes “1280x1024” “1280x960” “1280x800” “1152x864” “1280x768” “1280x720” “1024x768” “1280x600” “1024x600” “800x600” “768x576” “640x480”
EndSubSection
SubSection “Display”
Depth 16
Modes “1280x1024” “1280x960” “1280x800” “1152x864” “1280x768” “1280x720” “1024x768” “1280x600” “1024x600” “800x600” “768x576” “640x480”
EndSubSection
SubSection “Display”
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection “Display”
Depth 8
EndSubSection
Device “Device[0]”
Identifier “Screen[0]”
Monitor “Monitor[0]”
EndSection

Section “Device”
BoardName “GeForce 7800 GTX”
Driver “nvidia”
Identifier “Device[0]”
Option “SaXDualHead”
Option “TwinView”
Option “SaXDualMonitorVendor” “ACR”
Option “SecondMonitorHorizSync” “30-83”
Option “SaXDualVSync” “50-75”
Option “MetaModes” “1280x1024,1280x1024;1280x960,1280x960;1280x800,1280x800;1152x864,1152x864;1280x768,1280x768;1280x720,1280x720;1024x768,1024x768;1280x600,1280x600;1024x600,1024x600;800x600,800x600;768x576,768x576;640x480,640x480”
Option “SaXDualOrientation” “LeftOf”
Option “SaXDualResolution” “1280x1024”
Option “TwinViewOrientation” “LeftOf”
Option “SaXDualMode” “Xinerama”
Option “SecondMonitorVertRefresh” “50-75”
Option “SaXDualHSync” “30-83”
Option “SaXDualMonitorModel” “ACER AL1916”
Screen 0
VendorName “NVidia”
EndSection

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “Layout[all]”
InputDevice “Keyboard[0]” “CoreKeyboard”
Option “Clone” “off”
Option “Xinerama” “off”
Screen “Screen[0]”
EndSection

Section “DRI”
Group “video”
Mode 0660
EndSection

Section “Extensions”
Option “Composite” “on”
EndSection

The only thing I’m not sure about is the mouse…
I have a “Microsoft Wireless Laser mouse 6000”
And it says Wacom PTZ-930

Next steps? Reinstalling the wacom drivers? or compiling a kernel:|

thanks Selage; the only significant point of difference between your and my xorg.conf files, is the mouse reference; (obviously we have different monitors …)

if I just clarify my role: you asked for help with documentation, and I had a read; but if I point out I have not installed a Wacom tablet, nor indeed ever edited xorg. conf files etc. I was hoping the greater power of the forum would help at important steps;

and each step be considered before being taken; the advice always given is to ensure important data is backed up etc

when I re-read the documentation, I think you are at this step :The Linux Wacom Project

It says

First, if you have Wacom related lines in your XF86Config/XF86Config-4 or xorg.conf files already, you should comment them out or remove them. In particular, this includes InputDevice sections with a driver set to “wacom” and their corresponding InputDevice lines in ServerLayout. When that’s done, restart X.

an Ubuntu thread talks of how to back up your xorg.conf file before doing anything: TabletSetupWizardpen - Community Help Wiki and is detailed half-way down the page;

Setting up X

Now we are ready to edit the xorg.conf file!

Take a backup - Run this command:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

Edit the file - Run this command:

and they use sudo vim, meaning the text editor vim; gnomesu gedit would apply to you

so if you are happy to get ahead and do these things, and I emphasise you, you should seem to need to replace the current Wacom reference with that of your mouse (in your xorg.conf file);

have a read at the Ubuntu post; and also read up on “restarting X” to see how it applies to your machine:

the wacom reference The Linux Wacom Project talks of

you should comment them out or remove them. In particular, this includes InputDevice sections with a driver set to “wacom” and their corresponding InputDevice lines in ServerLayout. When that’s done, restart X.

read ahead to The Linux Wacom Project because it talks about where you are going to insert into xconf later; maybe get more familiar with it now …

and have a read at this next page, The Linux Wacom Project because it specifies what you will later insert; and it specifically mentions your tablet;

there is not a huge lot of to-do here, but I’m just trying to be very careful

So i backed it up, under xorg.conf.backup

upgrading to version 2.6 (preferablely 2.6.18 or later) may save you the steps to update wacom kernel related modules.

is this meaning i dont need to worry about the USB kernel, Hid …
As OpenSuse 11.0 has 2.6.25.16 installed!
Dont need to worry about the Wacom.ko?

If i do more /proc/bus/input/devices
It gives me this:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=00b2 Version 0102
N: Name=“Wacom Intuos3 9x12”
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-4/2-4:1.0/input/input5
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse1 event 5
B: EV=1f
B: KEY=1cff 0 1f00ff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=100
B: ABS=100 f00017f
B: MSC=1

“If there is no Wacom after Name=, you need to update wacom.ko.”

What do i need to test further to seen and know that my wacom will work?

For example, will the wacom driver load during boot?

I’m happy to see, that the USB recognizes my tablet.

Thank, Greetz Selage

in post #3, I tried to detail what I read from the Wacom documentation;
so you have backed up your xorg.conf file and if you are happy, the Wacom documentation would say: edit it, to remove reference to the Wacom, entering instead the mouse details you mention above;

gnomesu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

have a read again at page 2.1 The Linux Wacom Project

because after editing your xorg.conf file, they tell you to

check your XFree86 or Xorg log file for references to wacom, wcm, or tablet. If X persists in trying to interact with the tablet, things will only be problematic later. The log file is often found at /var/log/XFree86.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

if I just repeat again, it is your computer, and files; and you are editing those files; it seems unlikely there will be a big crash, but make sure important files etc are saved; (ie music? letters? pictures? JPEGs? MPEGs? ?? personal files …) a forum has offered to help you with documentation; it ain’t telling you to do these things …

if you get the above all done, the next step seems to be to check how the downloading and installation of the tar.gz got …

I’ve checked the Log file, and No wacom,wcm, or tablet found.

i’ve been reading up on the docs, downloaded the file, extracted them.

And now the site talks about setting the paths, modprobe and stuff like that.

I found how to add /sbin to the $PATH. But now the site talks about installing the Prebuilds…

do i install those or skip that and proceed the rest of the site?

I already feel like getting there…

I would like to continue and not install the prebuild, as i have a feeling those wouldn’t work for me…

Next “Configuring the Package”](Linux Wacom Tablet Project download | SourceForge.net)

For older 2.6 kernels, you need to configure the kernel modules (wacom and hid) under your kernel source directory before configuring linuxwacom.

Note, for kernel 2.6.18 and later, no need to build hid any more. Refer to Testing Tablet Detection to see if you need to build hid or not.

Running a 2.6.25.16 kernel, so schouldn’t be a problem! or do it anyway?

We are up so far!!! getting enthusiastic lol!

page 2.4 install from prebuild

it says

If you use an older USB tablet and your running kernel was released 6 months later than your tablet was first seen in market, you most probably can skip next section of this chapter and the whole chapter 4 too.
and my reading was your USB fits the above, and your kernel is new, so you can skip …

you MUST surely install the prebuild, as you have followed the steps to uppack the package, and you should follow exactly what the wacom documentation says to do; you should have the directory linuxwacom-0.8.0-3/prebuilt sitting inside the directory where you unpacked it, so you cd (change directory) to it and follow the commands, as wacom details;

next step seems to be 5.1; you might just want to have a read at that about now too, just to anticipate what is coming ahead;

there seem to be four sections in Section “InputDevice”; stylus, eraser, cursor and pad; I detail a part of the fourth section below

This section is for Intuos3, CintiqV5, Graphire4, or Bamboo

Section “InputDevice”
Driver “wacom”
Identifier “pad”

if you are happy to press on, follow the wacom instructions and let us know how it goes

Install of prebuild was succesfull.

Made the changes in Xorg.conf

Restarted ( no crash) all seems to work fine…

Only gimp wont recognize the wacom.
File - Preferences - input devices

Available Controllers

“Linux Input”

And if i hit Configure Input Controller,; set the device to Wacom Intuos 9x12

Gimp says " Device not available: Acces denied…

Whats that about?

Oké, now i’m sure it works!!!

I found this blog “Moosy blog”](http://moosy.blogspot.com/2008/01/wacom-volito-tablet-in-opensuse.html)

Quick sketch of what i did:

1. Delete all Wacom related lines in Xorg.conf
  2. Installed the prebuilt from Linux wacom project
  3. Installed Wacom packages from Yast
  4. Enabled my Wacom in Sax11 config
  5. Restart X
  6. Run Wacdump as they say on the blog, and find your Event
    or use more /proc/bus/usb/devices and find Vendor=056a, your event is listed there
  7. edit Xorg.conf and Change all wacom related lines to the right event…
  8. Restart X and Voila, this worked for me…

Thank you pdc_2 for your help and patience
Thank to you, i could find this…

Now only Gimp need to see the pressure sensitive…

Oké next challenge:

Make Gimp have acces to the tablet…

I’ve reinstalled it, Nothing…
I have no clue…

I wonder if this is a permissions issue;

it is well recognised with USB scanners on linux, that the scanner is only accessible when logged on as root sometimes:

so how to get access as a mere user?

for a USB scanner, the sane page http://www.sane-project.org/README.linux says;

The device files used by libusb are located in /dev/bus/usb/ (e.g. /dev/bus/usb/001/003), if
you use udev.

The exact file name can be found out by running sane-find-scanner
which would print “libusb:001:003” in this case. While setting permissions with e.g. “chmod a+rw /proc/bus/usb/001/003” works, this change is not permanent.

so if you go in a terminal:

lsusb

ie log is as substitute user (su) also called root

and write down the two numbers that should come when your Wacom is identified amongst your usb devices

and then go; (as su)

chmod a+rw /proc/bus/usb/00?/00?

where you fill in the two question marks from the identification of your Wacom above in # lsusb

that will only work each time you boot the computer; and the USB numbers are likely to be different each time;

again, I think these commands are unlikely to blow up your computer but they are made available for you to try … hope it helps

if this works, I believe you need to add rules to udev , another story

hmmmmmmmmm
I suppose the more circumspect might test $ lsusb to see if the Wacom is identified; and if not, #lsusb to see if it now is; and if that happens, use the chmod command; I am assuming that if only root can access the Wacom currently, that $lsusb would NOT show the Wacom; and the # lsusb would; others may choose to comment

hmmmmmmm
checking this website: GimpTalk • View topic - Install guide: Getting Wacom drawing tablets to work in GIMP

they talk of

The final thing is to tell GIMP that you have this new cool tablet that you want to use. Go to Preferences->Input devices->Configure Extended input devices.

It is in a section entitled “Setting up GIMP”

I wasn’t sure if you had done all this

this “Setting up GIMP” section seems to have very good detail; earlier sections, whilst written by a Debian user, may give enough pointers to help: eg he talks of identifying in the drawer /dev/input/ which event file is relevant;

out of interest, I see this command as substitute user (su)

grep -i wacom /var/log/boot.msg

from this website, Wacom Tablet HOWTO: Requirements

if the wacom is being picked up, it should say something like:

input0: Wacom Intuos 9x12 on usb1:2.0

the site suggests an alternate source might be /var/log/messages

is your wacom being detected now?

Pffieuw, i had some problems…

At first all went well, but after a reboot and some trying to fix the gimp issue all went bad.

No more wacom fun…

But now everything is back up and working fine.

/var/log/messages gave me an output were i could see that wacom is now connected to input 5.

So it recognizes the tablet.
But Gimp says that he has no access to the tablet…

Oké, i dont understand this…

This noon Wacom was on event5

And now, the evening, its back on event3

gonna try the scanner commands, and read some forums