Google chrome : New open source browser

Does any body heard about Google new open source browser.
Still not available for Linux, is under development.

Link to Google chrome

mmarif4u wrote:
> Still not available for Linux, is under development.

we can show interest in Google Chrome for linux by signing up to
receive an email when released…

just guessing, but if 10 million folks sign up to get that mail it
might cause Google to throw more hackers at the project, and
release sooner…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

Thanks DenverD for the link to subscribe.

I suggest you read the EULA part 11. really, really carefully.

I tried it earlier on my windows partition, its horrible. Just a stripped down IE with a crappy skin. Google monopolises the internet enough as is, the last thing I will ever do is use their browser to, keep it even and support firefox and opera :slight_smile:

I’m using it now, in vbox. It’s ok. Not too pretty though.

Wow. You use it, they own you. :messed:

Just tried it on XP. Very fast, as everybody noticed. GUI rather plain at the moment, but that’s really not the point. It’s only beta after all.

I suggest that people who want to knock it at least read the comic book version of the design document explaining the major goals of Chrome before writing it off as a copycat of anything. If they achieve the goals they have set for themselves, it will be one awesome browser that will improve the Internet for everybody.

No more killing the whole browser because Flash hung in one tab, and losing that banking session. No more malware in one tab stealing info from another tab (they are in separate processes, also good for multi-core CPUs). You can even detach tabs to get a new window and reattach it later. Less fragmentation of memory, kill a tab, every byte of that tab goes back to the OS. Incognito mode where history is not saved, so no one can trawl through your history later and find that you shopped for a birthday present. Fast Webkit rendering engine. Fast V8 Javascript engine, approaching native code speed in some cases. Open source, BSD style license so other browsers and projects (yes even M$) can reuse as much as they like. And more I can’t remember off the top of my head. The comic narrative is very readable and entertaining.

Sounds pretty interesting. Looks like WebKit really is legit now: Konqueror, Epiphany, Safari, Google Chrome, smartphones (Andriod, iPhone)…

I don’t know how excited I am for a linux version only because WebKit already has at least 3 linux implementations. But the more the marrier I suppose. It’s always good to have cross-platform software.

Thanks for pointing this out.

More likely that substantial progress on that front will be made by intrepid developers taking the code base and doing builds and feeding back to the Chrome team. Already I’ve seen blog entries by people who have stuck their toes into the water.

There seems to be a distinction between Chrome and the open source project that Chrome is based on - Chromium.

Chromium - Google Code

Index of /buildbot/snapshots

I think the EULA only applies to Chrome:

Google Chrome for Windows - Terms and Conditions Agreement

I’m not a lawyer, but it looks like 11.1 is what google needs to index and archive web pages. I don’t think you give up any rights to the content. Also, if there is something that shouldn’t be “out there” google seems willing, at least in the past, to take it down.

I checked “no” when asked if Chrome could send info to google. That probably didn’t mean much, but did it anyway.

One thing I do like about it is that each Tab/Window is in a separate “environment” I guess you can say. When tab slows down the others don’t and that if a pages causes a crash… only the tab/windows closes and not the entire thing.

At least that’s what Google says…

Also, the autocomplete URL thing is nice

Typing this using Chrome right now btw :slight_smile:

Does any one have a download link for winXP.
I searched alot, but cant find any.

Might be interesting as a web application platform when combined with an instant-on Linux like Splashtop.

See Splashtop and Google Chrome is the Future

Google Chrome - Download a new browser

I know about this link.
But there is no link OR button for download.

Thanks have got the link:
Link to download

More about chrome:
Link

Google answer about EULA section 11 :

“In order to keep things simple for our users, we try to use the same set of legal terms (our Universal Terms of Service) for many of our products. Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don’t apply well to the use of that product. We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome.”