Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Nvidia 8800GT problems

  1. #1
    Weemee NNTP User

    Default Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Hi all,

    New Suse Linux user here, having a great time trying to get everything working (most worked out of the box!) but I'm having problems with my Nvidia 8800GT.

    I've followed the installer guide using yast, but I'm still having problems (is anyone able to explain exactly what Yast is? I assume it's some form of package manager?!).

    Basically I have the following in my control panel;


    this appears in the properties of the gfx;


    and this is the error I am receiving;


    Is anyone able to help? I'm still very new so I'd be grateful for all the help I can get

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    16,149
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemee
    Hi all,

    New Suse Linux user here, having a great time trying to get everything
    working (most worked out of the box!) but I'm having problems with my
    Nvidia 8800GT.

    I've followed the installer guide using yast, but I'm still having
    problems (is anyone able to explain exactly what Yast is? I assume it's
    some form of package manager?!).

    Basically I have the following in my control panel;
    [image:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/...4e623.jpg?v=0]

    this appears in the properties of the gfx;
    [image:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/...a14ee.jpg?v=0]

    and this is the error I am receiving;
    [image:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/...540e8.jpg?v=0]

    Is anyone able to help? I'm still very new so I'd be grateful for all
    the help I can get

    Thanks
    Hi
    Sounds like your still using the nv driver. Some Nvidia cards show
    up as Vesa, don't worry it's normal. You can manually change it in
    the xorg.conf file if you need to see the name.

    Have a read here;

    Nvidia

    If all is working you should see the Nvidia logo show when the X server
    is starting.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
    up 2 days 15:06, 1 user, load average: 0.31, 0.13, 0.16
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


  3. #3

    Default Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Sounds like you've not installed the Nvidia driver. Go here and click on the link for the 1-click install for newer Nvidia cards:

    Setup nVideo Video/Display with native nvidia rendering for Compiz | SUSE & openSUSE

    Hopefully this will correct your problem.
    =============================================
    openSUSE 11.0 Intel Quad-Core @2.4ghz
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTO
    4GB RAM 1TB diskspace (SATA)

    =============================================

  4. #4
    Weemee NNTP User

    Default Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Hi guys,

    thanks for the replies.

    I'm pretty sure it's still not working. I don't see any Nvidia logo, and the windows draw rate seems very low. Indeed I can't even turn on 3d effects in the control panel.

    I've tried the one click installer which says that it has completed successfully, but nothing more seems to happen. I have had the GFX card detected correctly before, but again the driver did not seem to work. I really am stuck.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks again

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    16,149
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemee
    Hi guys,

    thanks for the replies.

    I'm pretty sure it's still not working. I don't see any Nvidia logo,
    and the windows draw rate seems very low. Indeed I can't even turn on
    3d effects in the control panel.

    I've tried the one click installer which says that it has completed
    successfully, but nothing more seems to happen. I have had the GFX card
    detected correctly before, but again the driver did not seem to work. I
    really am stuck.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks again
    Hi
    I suggest looking at the link and following the commands to get to
    runlevel 3, then skipping down to configure the X.org and run the sax2
    command.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
    up 2 days 15:40, 1 user, load average: 0.61, 0.38, 0.26
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    11,210

    Default Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    > Any ideas?

    confirm that you either rebooted or shutdown X and restarted it after
    the one click reported a successful driver instal..

    --
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
    3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

  7. #7
    Weemee NNTP User

    Smile Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Hi Guys,

    I got it working

    Here is how in the Weemee basic manual.

    1) Use YAST to install the driver.
    2) Restart
    3) Press CTRL, ALT and F1
    4) Type logout and press enter
    5) Login as root (same password as main account is likely)
    6) type sax2 -r
    ** note your screen may then go into sleep mode. I pressed enter and spacebar once - it did not return. Then reboot, and everything should be working! **

    I hope this helps someone, if not it'll help me if I reinstall

    Thanks

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nvidia 8800GT problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Weemee View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I got it working

    Here is how in the Weemee basic manual.

    1) Use YAST to install the driver.
    2) Restart
    3) Press CTRL, ALT and F1
    4) Type logout and press enter
    5) Login as root (same password as main account is likely)
    6) type sax2 -r
    ** note your screen may then go into sleep mode. I pressed enter and spacebar once - it did not return. Then reboot, and everything should be working! **

    I hope this helps someone, if not it'll help me if I reinstall

    Thanks
    Hey WeeMee,

    thanks for the input mate, that did help me out especially I've been trying to get my 8800GT card to work for the last 3 weeks

    thanks again

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •