LCD Monitor not detected (How to configure ?)

Have a problem with the LCD (LG Flatron L177WSB) Monitor.
On trying to access the ‘Graphics Card & Monitor’ section from [YaST Control Center] and [Control Center] (both these are: click Computer on gnome desktop → under ‘System’ column on the right), & putting the root p/w the screen goes blank, goes back to command prompt (Login : ) and then in a few secs back again to GUI (gnome desktop) by itself…I am unable to change the Monitor Refresh rate currently 51 Hz, found thro’ Control Center → Screen Resolution (this works)] from 51 Hz to 60 Hz (optimal).

I would like to add the specific LG Flatron Monitor (L177WSB) & load it’s driver, if available (currently it is displayed as just ‘Monitor’ from the ‘Hardware Info’ tab of YAST Control Center).

How can I configure/add the Monitor to detected hardware.
The default Screen Res of 1440 X 900 is supported as I could install the nVidia GeForce 8400 GS drivers.

As the xorg.conf file points to many Monitors (& so I have no idea which one to edit/delete (if needed) & how), I have the zipped the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. It can be d/led from -

http://lvznow.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Tr-4IYql9e8LT9n5i-bNxB-TkrXulpKtDGsey3EgPPlRxFbcYqHfDfBu8Ds_3qiZUIdZsu4VXM/xorg-19Aug08.conf.zip?download

or

xorg-19Aug08.conf.zip - Windows Live SkyDrive

Hi
Have a read here if your only using the default driver ‘nv’;
http://en.opensuse.org/Nvidia

I’ve never had much luck with either the 1-click or openSUSE nvidia
repositories and have always used the ‘hard way’ it does require
additional downloading of kernel-source and build tools.

You might find it easier to configure the monitor at runlevel 3 (no GUI
running), if you press ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a console, login as your
user, then;

su -
init 3
<now you may need to press ctrl+alt+F2 if you get back to a login
prompt>
sax2

Now grab the cdrom that came with monitor and then click on the monitor
button, then press the ‘utility disk’ button. Now browse to the monitor
inf file and upload. Test and exit sax2

init 5 && exit
alt+ctrl+f2
exit
alt+ctl+F7

The alt+ctrl+F7 is the GUI VT.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.11-0.1-default
up 22:55, 1 user, load average: 0.49, 1.20, 1.03
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

Hi
Have a read here if your only using the default driver ‘nv’;
NVIDIA - openSUSE

I’ve never had much luck with either the 1-click or openSUSE nvidia
repositories and have always used the ‘hard way’ it does require
additional downloading of kernel-source and build tools.
Thanks for the detailed reply & instructions!

The Gfx Card itself (i.e. both: Gfx Card-GeFore 8400GS & On-board Gfx-GeForce 7050/nVidia nForce 610i) is detected/configured (‘easy method’ from the link you pointed out)… problem is in configuring the Monitor, which is detected as just ‘Monitor’ in ‘Hardware Info’ panel of ‘YAST Control Center’.

Will try out what you have suggested. In the meantime (if it helps), pl have a look at the xorg.conf file (zipped URL in above previous post).

PS:
Don’t think the LG CD that came with the Monitor has Linux drivers, it only has Windows drivers. But will check out all the folders, to be sure.

Hi
Sorry, won’t download that or any other file :slight_smile: you are better
off to send it to a paste site eg

curl -F file=@/etc/X11/xorg.conf nopaste.com/a

and then paste the url;
http://nopaste.com/p/aWkRYPR9t

up 23:12, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.28, 0.48

xorg-19Aug08.conf - nopaste.com (beta)

Hope this is ok.

Being new to Linux, is there a security risk in d/ling a zipped file or opening it (.conf file after unzipping) in gedit, on a Linux PC?
I do not have any anti-virus software installed or Firewall enabled.

Hi
Much better, thanks :slight_smile: Yes, it is a security risk if you don’t know
where it’s from :slight_smile:

Your firewall is enabled, only need antivirus if you have a windows
partition and don’t want to pass on via emails etc. No viruses in the
wild for linux, maybe a worm or two, but rootkits are a potential risk.
It’s a whole other subject on it’s own probably in chit-chat or soapbox
forums.

So are you running this in a virtual machine? If not, I suggest you run
the sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia command to clear out that xorg.conf

See the nvidia link.

If it’s a virtual machine, you need to install the vmware tools on the
guest system.

up 23:56, 1 user, load average: 0.38, 0.33, 0.18

I tried the sax2 line from RL 3 (after sudo -s). It gave back an Error Message (something about not being able to configure…not sure exactly what) & then asked to try the ‘sax2 -p’ cmd.
This I did & the output was a listing of the 2 Video Cards/Adapters (GeForce 8400GS-PCI-E & GeForce 7050 on-board) & stopped at that. As I did not know how to proceed further, I exited back to RL 5 (Ctrl-Alt-F7).

I am not sure what you mean by the second part of the code (as quoted above) in your reply # 3 above. How can one access the CD-ROM from a CLI? Also, the ‘.inf’ file on the CD would be for the Windows drivers?

Here is a list of the files that are in the ‘Drivers’ folder of the CD-

LG_Flatron_L177WSB Drivers List

DRIVERS

L177W.CAT
L177W.ICM
L177W.INF
L177WSB.CAT
L177WSB.ICM
L177WSB.INF
README.TXT
How should I proceed?
I do recall that after having first installed the nVidia driver (‘easy way’- i.e. single-click on the link for new cards), I could access the Monitor & Display applet (if that is the right word) in the YAST Control Center & at that time it gave an option of selecting the LCD display from a list of manufacturers & Models as a sub-categ.

So are you running this in a virtual machine?

Sorry, overlooked this. No, it’s not a VM…the Linux (ext3) partitions are on a separate HDD; Windows resides ona separate HD.

Hi
The command is either “su -” or “sudo -i” not “-s” (I think it only
gives a shell) you need the root users environment :slight_smile: which may be why
you got the error.

Try again as detailed (consider this the first warning :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :joking: )

The have a look to see on the label if yours is the W or WSB model and
that would be the one you select. They are just inf(ormation) files not
OS specific about your monitor.

The cdrom should be mounted and lives under the /media directory so you
have no issues getting to it. Or you could copy those files to a temp
directory on your machine.

up 1 day 21:23, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.68, 0.44

Was able to configure the LCD Monitor (LG Flatron 177WSB) & Display (PCI-Exp GeForce 8400GS) properly.

Here’s a summary of what I did-

• As mentioned earlier, I recalled that the system had detected the Monitor & Display Card earlier. Assuming (this proved to be correct) that this was due to both Gfx Adapters [PCI-E, as above & on-board (GeForce 7050)] being enabled in BIOS (with frame buffer of 256 MB alloted for on-board Gfx); went into BIOS and disabled the on-board adapter & dafulted to the in-use PCI-E Adapter. Apparently Windows (XP SP3) does not have a problem with both being enabled (and BIOS pointing to use the PCI-Exp by default & going for on-board only if PCI-E fails); but openSUSE did-it got ‘confused’ b/w the PCI-Exp Card & On-board Graphics.

• Once disabled, I re-booted into openSUSE 11.0 & pointed F’fox to NVIDIA - openSUSE & d/lded the nVidia driver again.

• After installation of the driver (thro auto-YAST), opened up x-term and did the foll procedure as mentioned here -
    Started xterm

sudo -i
<p/w>
sax2 -r
  • This ran the X.org configuration, from where the Display Adapter was auto-detected & I could choose the Monitor from the LG section.

Now grab the cdrom that came with monitor and then click on the monitor
button, then press the ‘utility disk’ button. Now browse to the monitor
inf file and upload. Test and exit sax2
Tried putting in the disk but it could not access it (gave an Error Message about unable to access ‘/temp/…’ directory).

Thanks,

Hi
Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile: When I said a temp directory, I meant one you
created somewhere on your system (generally in your home directory
or /tmp).

Now time for you to get down to some serious openSUSEing, enjoy :slight_smile:

up 2 days 1:12, 1 user, load average: 0.11, 0.28, 0.23

Sorry to have to bother you again, but though I could configure the Monitor (Default Res 1440 X 900) (and after configuring it with the ‘sax2 -r’ cmd), it says the settings will be applied the next time the display settings are run.

However, on re-booting, it reverts back to the old res of 1280 X 800 & the Display reverts to ‘vesa’.

Any suggestions?

For those with similar problem- I agree about (unsuitability of) 1-click install-got only a sub-optimal res of 1024 X 768 by that method. …‘Hard mtd’ in above link resulted in optimal 17" Monitor res of 1440 X 900.