Thread: How to install Wine and get Call of Duty 4 (COD4) working

geodescent NNTP User

Default How to install Wine and get Call of Duty 4 (COD4) working

Hello. I would like to request an experienced user to provide step by step instructions for me on getting Call of Duty 4 to work within the latest version of Wine within openSUSE 11. As in, detailed. Like, not just saying "download wine source" because I don't exactly know how to do even that.

That being said, here's what I do know:

1. I have uninstalled my regular version of Wine-Doors and Wine 1.1.2. This is because I know that I need to diff patch wine with a 3dmark patch called "wine-1.1.0-3dmark.patch.gz"
    2. This is the Wine AppDB page that I am basing my entire need of patching wine off of: Wine AppDB - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 1.7
    3. This guide seems to be the most well-written out in terms of actual commands but is geared for ubuntu users. I do not have apt-get for example: How To: Run Call of Duty 4 (COD4): Modern Combat in Linux | fsckin w/ linux

So what I need to know is how exactly I go about downloading the latest i586 wine source, patching it, and then installing the patched version. Note that I already have "patch" and "checkinstall" installed via YAST so those hurdles should be out of the way.

Please be as thorough as possible. No detail is too small.

Thanks!

geodescent NNTP User

Default Re: How to install Wine and get Call of Duty 4 (COD4) workin

Well this is interesting: installing "wine-snapshot-1.1.2.20080818-1.1 (i685)" along with "wine-doors-0.1.2-5.12 (i586)" (wine doors probably not necessary) did the trick! Game runs out of the box now! Will post my findings to Wine AppDB as well.

Default Re: How to install Wine and get Call of Duty 4 (COD4) workin

Glad to see it worked for you. I thought this thread was a tutorial - judging by the heading.
    NVIDIA! Listen to your customers! We want Free drivers.
    Petition #1. Petition #2. Use your VOICE! Sign the petitions!