Acer Aspire 4520 no Wireless no Graphics Drivers

Title almost pretty much sums it up. I looked around and found people who supposedly had the same laptop as I’ve got here and the solutions posted there for them didn’t work, and I can’t find much anything.

I tried that 1-click NVIDIA Install thing for my NVIDIA GeForce 7000M and it didn’t work. It says I’ve got some Vesa thing for a Graphics Card, which is bizarre because there’s a thing on the laptop that says it’s supposed to be a 384 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7000M, the 1-click didn’t work, I tried uninstalling that and using the other, that didn’t work, and yes I was remembering to reboot after trying each of them.

As for the internet problem, I can’t seem to connect over the wireless, it keeps saying there’s a missing kernel thing for the wireless card, so it can’t configure it, though the regular internet works fine. I followed instructions on the MadWifi thing, and so that didn’t work.

Does anyone know how to solve either of these two problems?

Hi
I’ve always found the ‘hard way’ at the following link to work, but I
believe some people have had issues with the 1-click install.

Nvidia installation

For the wireless, have a look at the stickies in help network wireless
and post your questions there.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
Ubuntu 8.04 x86 Kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
2:18, 1 user, load average: 0.48, 0.12, 0.03
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 173.14.12

Thanks for the help, adding those files didn’t do anything but then I tried that step for after installation to set it up so it would actually use the NVIDIA Drivers and it turns out that was all that was needed for some reason.

Also, thanks for pointing out where the other problem goes. Hopefully that one’s fixed soon too (then my mom can stop being annoyed that it’s taking so long for me to get this to work, considering it’s already working better then it did when it had Vista and froze every 3 seconds…)

I have the same laptop with opensuse 11 KDE 3.5.9 (recomended),
to enable NVIDIA , I use the hard way, is better. Then you can enable compiz-fusion for full 3D desktop.You need to install it from YaST.
The laptop have Atheros wireless, you need to use the following program kndiswrapper(need to install form YaST) and download the windows Xp drivers to your home directory, and then install with kndiswrapper. Then you can connect to a Wi-FI network.
openSUSE 11 works great in this laptop.
Good Luck

Acer Aspire 4520, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA chipset, Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7000M, 160GB HD, cd-DVD-RW. WebCam Crystal eye.
Printer Samsung Laser ML-1610 (usb cable).

hi i have a aspire one and my atheros AR5BXB63 i will look for my drivers this has helped loads!! thanks