Editing menu.lst

Hi to everybody!
This days I was setting a dual boot system , with help from Swerdna I was able to do it. In tha pc I was using suse gnome , now I want to do the same with another pc but will use suse with KDE . I tried to edit the menu.lst with the same command I used for gnome (kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst) I noticed kdesu first 3 letters are kde so I tried different combination of gnome with the same basic command but only received some warnings. Can anyone share how do you edit the menu list in Suse with gnome ?thank you in advance

Found the answer reading around here. BUt I am a little confused the output is as follow

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sun Jul 6 21:40:38 BST 2008

default 0
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTC426020G5CE00_L6VP1U-part1 vga=0x317 resume=/dev/sda2 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_HTC426020G5CE00_L6VP1U-part1 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

In what part I should write the chailoader +1 to have the othe OS accesible? ( this output is slightly different than the one presented by kde and we all know thatin here a point a comma or space can make a world of difference) Thank you

Edit this in at the bottom:

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

If it isn’t windows, but, say, abcdefg is the title then change the two occurrences of “windows” to “abcdefg”

The above presupposes it’s the first partition on the first drive, sda1. If it’s sda5 for example, change the two instances of (hd0,0) to (hd0,4)…I hope you get the drift.

Thank you for ALL your help.It all worked out perfect. Now thanks to you I have a triple linux booting system (I spent close to 7 weeks trying to do a dual boot system but nobody explained things as easily as you thank you :D)

Well I had SO much trouble with Grub when openSUSE 11 came out that I just had to take some time out and get it sorted in my head – so now I have a multiboot with grub for dos, windows, Ubuntu, Suse 10.0, 10.1,10.2, 10.3 and 11.0 and a partner muttering something about obsession… mutter mutter…:eek: