Static IP Configuration

Hey all,

I used to use TightVNC a lot on Windows before I switched, and it was a great program, very continent and easy to work with. I think that it’s great that OpenSUSE supports TightVNC, but I’m having a bit of trouble setting up the static IP. I’ve done it on Windows, and it worked fine, but I’m a bit reluctant to do it on SUSE because of the Firewall stopping anything coming through when I set the IP. So, does anyone know how to properly set up a static IP in SUSE and configure the firewall so it doesn’t block everything that comes near my computer once I set the IP?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

There are some screenshots here for static IP:
Hi Unseen-Ghost

HowTo Configure a network card in Suse/openSUSE 10.x for LAN and Internet Access.
And set the interface in the “external” zone of the firewall.

Regarding firewalls: don’t know what tught VNC needs in way of ports, but here’s how you set ports:
SuSEfirewall2: HowTo Firewall a Suse/openSUSE Workstation for LAN Network Traffic

I don’t know anything about static IP. I use a dynamic IP mapped to a static URL with the dyndns service. DynDNS: DNS Hosting, Email Delivery and Other Services

In the case of tightvnc on openSUSE, I simply open ports for ssh and vnc. More specifically, I open a high port on my main router (say port #43001) and map that to port#22 on PC#1 on my LAN (for ssh). I then also open “generically” port 5900 on my main router, and port 5900 on my openSUSE PCs (for the vnc graphics).

When I use vnc I typically pipe it through ssh for more security.

So this sort of tightvnc operation is doable.

To give you confidence in the do-ability of this, I can access and update each of my the boot partitions on my mother’s PC (winME, winXP and openSUSE-10.2) where she lives a continent away, and I can do this with a winXP or openSUSE PC, all using tightvnc as the client/server for the Windows partitions, and using tightvnc/x11vnc for the client/server for the openSUSE partitions. And the connection is successfully going through 4 firewalls (my mother’s router firewall and her PC firewall, and my router firewall and my PC firewall).

Just to clarify, while I can access the Windows from Linux, and the Linux from Windows, and the Windows from Windows, and the Linux from Linux via vnc, … when it comes to the Windows my wife does any and all Windows updates. … As I have noted in a previous thread, my Windows knowledge is weak, and I’m mostly a pathetic unmitigated disaster when it comes to doing things with Windows. … I’ve been using Linux for too long, I’ve never used Windows much at home since Win95, and hence my knowledge/experience there is too small. too much time has gone by, I’ve lost my familiarity with Windows, and I no longer find Windows friendly.

I’m with oldcpu here. I use VNC configured via YAST>Remote Administration over the default :5801 port.

I also use DynDNS to ensure that a change of IP address from my provider is resolved using DNS from the DynDNS folks. go here DynDNS: DNS Hosting, Email Delivery and Other Services to set up a free account and DNS resolution. I even have a few clients using DynDNS to facilitate ther windows server RDC sessions.

The static ip address is used for server etc.,
BUT IN SIMPLE TERM STATIC IP ADDRESS WONT CHANGE ITS STANDARD ONE.

BUT DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS MEANS LAN ip address. it will change every time modem of / on.

You can check this by visiting the ip-serach. while u r visiting an ip address appears. if it change means it dynamic it wont change means its static. YOu can contact the network adimistrator & provided u can chk the ip address from ip details.com