APC UPS Monitor applications apcupsd & apcupsd-gui (gapcmon) installation and the new openSUSE 12.3
by, 12-Mar-2013 at 19:30 (1141 Views)
The two YaST Software Applications apcupsd & apcupsd-gui are used to monitor your APC branded UPS in Linux and can, among other things, do an orderly shut down of your PC on an extended power failure. apcupd/apcupsd-gui application versions 3.14.10 or higher should be used to get this program working properly. The apcupsd application gapcmon has been fully converted to work with systemd in openSUSE 12.3. You no longer use the YaST Run Level editor to set the service to operate.
The proper sequence of events to get this APC UPS application working properly are as follows:
1. Connect your APC branded and supported UPS to your Linux PC, preferably by USB, but serial is also supported.
2. Using YaST / Software / Software Management, search for apcupsd & apcupsd-gui and install them from YaST as normal.
3. Edit the /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf file as root. You can use an application such as my SYSEdit bash script to make these changes for a usb connection:
SYSEdit - System File Editor - Version 1.50: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jd...rsion-1-00-60/Code:UPSCABLE usb UPSTYPE usb DEVICE
4. Open up a terminal session and type in the following command:
5. To Autostart in KDE, I normally goto menu / Configure Desktop / Startup & Shutdown / Autostart / Add Program / Search to / System / Monitor / APCUPSD Monitor and Press OK.Code:sudo /bin/systemctl enable /usr/lib/systemd/system/apcupsd.service sudo /bin/systemctl start apcupsd.service
6. Start the APCUPSD Monitor manually and on the Preference Tab / Click Add and check Enabled and Use Icon Tray.
7. Restart Your PC and you should be set.
Once apcupsd is working, you should see the following icons in your (KDE) System Tray. You get a plug icon per UPS monitored when this is more than one UPS and only one UPS labeled icon :
When you hover your mouse pointer over the plug, you get this:
The Plug when selected offers up this screen:
The UPS icon is used to configure your UPS monitor after it gets installed:
And as you can see, there are even more options and selections to see.
Online Resources: http://www.apcupsd.com/ & http://gapcmon.sourceforge.net/
Thank You for using openSUSE,